What is cPanel Hosting?
cPanel or Control Panel is an automation tool and a graphical interface that is used for simplifying the web hosting process. cPanel utilizes a 3-tier structure for providing comfort for the administrators and end-user website owners for managing the different aspects of website and server administration by the means of a standard browser.
Why cPanel Hosting is Used?
By using cPanel one can manage the important aspects that include- file management, FTP, backups, email management (which includes spam filter and autoresponder), password protection of web folders, MySQL database administration, etc. A command-line and API-based access are included in cPanel for allowing the third-party software vendors, web hosting organizations, and the developers for automating the standard system administration process.
Pros of cPanel Hosting
cPanel is the most commonly used web hosting control panel. Due to the Linux operating system, it has several powerful features that can yield a lot of benefits to the end-users, who could be the web hosting clients as well as the system administrators. Over time, cPanel has remained popular and its popularity can be credited to the inherent advantages that include- being user-friendly and feature-rich. A person need not be a tech-savvy for manging the websites or servers using cPanel.
The above-stated characteristics of cPanel can result in the following distinct benefits that are meant for the end-users-
- cPanel is easy to install and needs only the Linux system requirement with a minimum of 20 GB available disk space and a minimum of 512 MB of RAM. The users can manage complex tasks by a minimum number of clicks. These tasks range from site maintenance, calculation of disk spaces, searching the web directories, or even making regular backups. As cPanel is easy to use, web hosting providers, as well as the small and medium firms are able to save on the labor expenses as there is no need of hiring expert system administrators.
- cPanel is rich in features and these features & functions allow the users to manage their websites and hosting relatively easier.
For instance, cPanel supports a topnotch email management function, so because of this, users can quickly and set up their email accounts. Features such as anti-virus and anti-fraud protection are also included in the email management function.
- cPanel is compatible with several browsers, ranging from- Chrome to Safari and this allows the users to run cPanelwithout any difficulty. cPanel can also support third-party software add-ons that help users in building dynamic and robust websites. These add-ons or apps can range from blogs or bulletin boards or even guest books. Using these applications benefits the website owners and firms as these help in improving the functionalities of the websites.
- cPanel is highly portable with a straightforward movability feature. This means the users are able to transfer the website from a hosting company to another company without facing any kind of technical problem.
- cPanel has the ability to detect a failed service, and once it is done, it logs out and restarts the service on its own. The newer version of cPanel also includes DNS Clustering system that is responsible for providing a more robust and hassle-free performance.
Cons of cPanel Hosting
- The updates that cPanel gets are of very low quality. During the major updates, there is always a risk of losing the data or overwriting the active settings with the new data. In this case, the restoration of settings is problematic due to the file structure that is over-complicated.
- The configuration of modern servers is done by the automated settings control programs. These can regulate the behavior of both- one and several servers. This method is becoming increasingly popular due to the effectiveness it has, but cPanel doesn’t allow this kind of automatization and keeps all the resources under its control. Because of the cPanel update policy, the servers are updated with the old and vulnerable software.
- Control Panels create a shell between the hardware and the connectivity adds up to an impressive level of control piling up as compromised security. cPanel is very popular making it a soft target for hackers.
- The web interfaces are suitable for simple tasks and configuration, which allows the inexperienced users to manipulate the server. Using the web interface for complicated tasks is impossible and configuring servers by a cPanel is very unprofessional and ineffective.
What is VPS Hosting?
A Virtual Private Server (or VPS) refers to an isolated machine that is present on a physical server. It is often sold as a service by an Internet hosting provider. A dozen of VPSes can be created on a single physical server, which depends on the specifications of the physical server. A VPS contains its own IP address and runs on an own operating system, and its customers gain super user-level access (or root access) to the virtual machine. This enables users to install any software on that operating system. VPS web hosting is a method of building a website on a server that offers more power, security, and stability. The VPSes are completely isolated and the sharing of resources doesn’t take place in a similar way to the traditional shared hosting. It is located in partitioned servers with its own set of dedicated tools. Thus, a VPS is backed by its own RAM, storage and an operating system, which is usually Linux.
Why VPS Hosting is Used?
VPS hosting can be a great and low-cost solution for those who are in the competitive market and understand that slow load times could result in losing out customers. VPS hosting offers more dedicated management of the servers as well. For the companies which offer eCommerce, CRM, ERP and CMS can be assured that their servers are taken care of. This holds true for a fully managed VPS hosting, where most of the server admin work is done by the hosting provider, either for free or for an additional cost.
Pros of VPS Hosting
- VPS hosting is a type of shared hosting that uses virtualization for creating separate virtual servers for every hosted website. Thus, each website enjoys a different kind of features of dedicated hosting in a shared hosting environment. This helps in reducing the cost of the hosting.
- Every virtual machine in the VPS hosting contains its operating system, thus, giving more control to each of these sites. The sites can install applications and software based on their requirements. Users can customize the various server applications, and this is not going to affect other websites.
- In the case of VPS hosting, every website gets a dedicated amount of resources from the server, which can’t be used by other websites. Thus, the performance of a site doesn’t depend on what other websites are involved with the resources of the same server.
- VPS hosting can provide better privacy and security. As the operating systems are not shared with other websites, no other person has got access to the files.
Cons of VPS Hosting
- Virtual Private Servers are more time-consuming. When the user purchases a server, he needs to manually configure all the services that are running in addition to the required dependencies. The time of configuration can range vastly depending on the experience of the user. Once the initial configuration is done, then the user needs to occasionally update the server software along with the modification of the changed configuration files.
- Running a VPS needs additional knowledge to keep the server running smoothly. There is a deficiency in the number of resources pertaining to the uncommon issues and this can hamper the user. The user could face issues if he doesn’t have knowledge regarding avenues for attacks or even how the services tend to expose themselves to the real world.
- If the user has a dedicated server and is willing to shift to a VPS, then he needs to keep in mind the ‘noisy neighbors’. A noisy neighbor refers to another VPS using the same dedicated hardware, which uses a large number of system resources. These noisy neighbors can be counteracted by the addition of CPU and I/O limits, though the burst limits can still hamper the service in unexpected methods.
Both- cPanel web Hosting and VPS hosting possess a unique set of usage along with pros and cons. cPanel has been the most commonly used web hosting control panel that supports numerous features providing benefits to the end-users. Whereas, VPS hosting can prove to be a great and low-cost solution for those who’s present in the competitive market and realize the significance of load times.
For availing exciting offers and plans on cPanel and VPS Hosting visit our website and cherish the benefits of VPS and cPanel web hosting