What is Virtual Private Server?
A Virtual Private Server (VPS) is a virtual machine that is hosted on a physical machine with other VPS servers and provides a dedicated hosting environment similar to that of a dedicated server, but VPS servers are available at a much more affordable cost. Bodhost offers a range of Linux VPS servers and Windows VPS servers so that there is variety available to suit the requirements of all users. With root access provided with all VPS hosting plans, you will have full control of your hosting environment so that you can adapt the functionality and performance to reflect what you would like to see. All Bodhost web hosting services are hosted out of our Tier 3 data center, located in Chicago, Illinois; our data center is one of the most secure facilities in the USA and uses the most up-to-date technologies so that we can offer a 99.9% uptime guarantee with our VPS hosting plans.
Bodhost’s VPS server hosting plans are aimed at offering small businesses a dedicated platform that allows them to take a step up by increasing their web presence to a point where they can sells their goods and services online. A VPS server can help meet these aims in the following ways:
- The dedicated hosting environment provided by a VPS server is going to be one of the requirements you will need to fulfill if you wish to process the personal information, including credit cards, of your customers because they will want to be assured of the security of your website prior to entering their personal information.
- A VPS server is supplied with generous resource assignments so that you can host a website that receives high volumes of traffic without having to worry about the availability of your website or the performance of your VPS server.
- You can use the two dedicated IP addresses provided with your VPS server to setup dedicated SSL certificates for your websites to provide an extra layer of security and to purvey your dedication to security to your visitors.
VPS Root Access
As a VPS server provides you with your own dedicated hosting environment, root or administrator access to your virtual machine is a necessity so that you are able to seize upon the opportunity to install the applications and services of your choice and generally creating a custom web hosting environment. Bodhost provides SSH access for all Linux VPS server customers; SSH is direct access to your server’s command line so that you have an interface that you can use to direct commands at your hosting environment – it is from the console that you will install applications and perform server maintenance. As a Windows VPS server customer, Bodhost can offer you Remote Desktop access to your virtual server so that you are able to view the Windows Server 2008 GUI and perform maintenance from here.
Root access to your virtual private server can be gained in the following manners, depending on the platform that you are using:
- As a Linux VPS server client you will require a desktop SSH client if you are using Windows on your computer, but if you are using Mac OSX or another Linux distribution then you will already have the Terminal application available as an accompaniment to your operating system – you will then need to enter your login details in order to access your VPS server, on a Windows client this will be fairly easy, but with Terminal you will need to do this by enter the following command: “ssh user@server or IP address (-p server port)”
- Remote Desktop Access is possible using the client that is included with all versions of the Windows operating system, all you need to do is navigate to ‘Start > All Programs > Accessories’ and it should be available there, it is simply a case of entering your server details to establish the connection; Remote Desktop isn’t available if you are running Linux on the desktop, but there is an OSX version of the application available.
If a VPS server can’t provide you with the resource allocations that you have calculated as being the minimum required to run your website, Bodhost offers a range of enterprise cloud hosting plans and dedicated servers that also offer root access and a similar feature set.