Migration..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migration..

I have a website that was being hosted by Cognite in South Africa. I have all the details of the old host. Its only a info and email contact website of about 4 pages... that I update myself using wordpress. Is that all I need from cognite the old host for migration ?

Hi Simon,

Please let us know the hosting package and the control panel you are using your existing hosting provider. If you are using the same control panel which we provide, we may do the migration of your data.

Please let us know if you have any other questions in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon_M View Post
      I have a website that was being hosted by Cognite in South Africa. I have all the details of the old host. Its only a info and email contact website of about 4 pages... that I update myself using wordpress. Is that all I need from cognite the old host for migration ?
      If you are using cPanel then you need to take a full cPanel backup and restore the backup with the new provider. But make sure the new provider also supports the same control panel.

Comment

While migrating the website to some other web host the data backup process is extremely important. If you are operating an online store website, then any loss of data would directly mean loss of business. Make sure that you first talk to the new web hosting company about data backup and plan it properly in order to avoid data loss.

Comment

Though, it is not necessary that the company you come across will be helpful during migration to another host, you can always ensure that you know the entire process of migration and how you will make it work. It is necessary to communicate with the host to whom the data is being migrated to avoid any issues. Also, if the control panels are different the migration becomes a little complicated due to which communication with the support team or atleast knowledge of the process is important.
          VPS Hosting | Managed Dedicated Servers
          50% Flat Discount on Shared & Reseller Hosting Plans

Comment

A new hosting company will usually help you with the data move to gain a new customer ;) However, it is good to confirm with the host before placing an order if they would assist you with the data move. For safe side, you should also have a backup copy of your data just in case something messes up.

Comment

Yea but then you see if the new host company does not help you to move the data, you may end up losing a lot of data with the manual process. It is better to use popular control panels that allow you to move data easily. We had cPanel and we managed to move everything ourselves. But then I guess we changed the DNS a little later than the data move so some data again went on the new server :(

Comment

Originally posted by Katie9 View Post
                Yea but then you see if the new host company does not help you to move the data, you may end up losing a lot of data with the manual process. It is better to use popular control panels that allow you to move data easily. We had cPanel and we managed to move everything ourselves. But then I guess we changed the DNS a little later than the data move so some data again went on the new server :(
                You must be very careful in migrating websites. The migration should be scheduled in such a way that you do not have any data going on other server. It is best to have your web hosting provider do the migration for you so there are no glitches and you have a seamless migration.

Comment

In addition to the above, it is recommended to migrate the data properly without disturbing or stopping active applications and processes. Usually, the data migration done in business hours may present you with several problems such as unexpected downtime, data corruption or loss of data, also it may affect your application performance.

Hence, in order to defend your business operations from getting affected by such issues, it is always recommended to ask your new web hosting provider to migrate the data only during the off-business hours (i.e. Preferably during weekends.) Once you have successfully migrated the data from old to the new service provider and your website starts functioning again, you may cancel your old web hosting providers account and delete all the data from there.

Comment

Now migration is one of the thing where most of the hosting company and client both normally go through a lot of trouble. The basic reason for this is mis-communication, and lack of technical knowledge at customer's end. So its always recommended to have a clear discussion before migrating the data. Time frame and downtime is a major factor. I always recommend my clients to schedule the migration during week-ends so that if its an e-commerce website he wont have too much traffic and wont loose much business.

So before making any decision first gain that confidence and than go ahead with the migration, and please please take a complete backup of your website on your local machine so that if any thing goes wrong you have a copy of it.

Comment

Working...
                    X